Sunday, December 24, 2006

Now at Kota Kinabalu, Sabah

ETA: 2135 hrs on 13 December 2006

Lilian and I was greeted by the ever anxious ZR Yvonne from Likas Bay. She was so excited to meet us that she kept calling us even before we alighted the plane. After waiting for our luggage for more than half an hour, we finally exited the airport and met our ZR Yvonne. We then proceed to the carpark to meet up with President Jason from Likas Bay.

While exiting the airport, I noticed that the airport was undergoing a renovation and expansion. It was scheduled to be ready before early JAnuary 2008.
We then proceed to Supper at a famous Indian stall in Sabah called "Salim". There we were greeted with other club members from RAC Likas Bay and RAC Kota Kinabalu. We met up with PZR Lina Chin, Pres Kathy and many more Rotaractors. It was indeed a nice reunion. After supper, we went to our "Shane-ringlla". It was a double storey bungalow that belonged to Rtr Shane from Likas Bay. It was indeed by dream bachelor home. DAY 2: The day I lost my sole.

We started early that day and was thrilled to take up the challenge of "White" water rafting. We woke up early at 7 am and was sent to Beverly Hotel where a van awaits us to bring us to the train station. It was a one and a half hour ride to the train station. As expected the train was 30 minutes late. We boarded the train and began the 3 hour journey to our starting point.

Upon arrival, we were given instructions on how to manoeuvre the raft and explained to us some safety rules. Without wasting any time, we walked to the river and started our adventure. We were accompanied by an australian couple and 2 tourist from Hong Kong. The rafting started smoothly and we manage to work together as a team.

We then moved to the "Washing Machine" (one of the names of the river section). Our raft charged through the waves and attacked every obstacle that came towards us. However the elements got the better of us and we were defeated... or better yet, I was defeated. Half of the ppl in my raft went overboard which includes me.. hahahaha. Since I was the furthest from the boat, the guide through me a line and pulled me in. Upon reaching the boat, I waited patiently to be pulled up. When the time came for me to be "rescued", I was pulled up onto the boat by keith (one of the HK tourist inthe boat) and Lilian. However due to the "force of gravity" a.k.a. my weight, both of them are unable to pulled me up.

I began to panick (a bit) as we approached another fierce rapid. I heard the guide instructing Lilian and Keith to let me go. In my heart, I hoped that they won't leave me behind. Luckily, the guide, with his super human strength. managed to pull me up. I breath a sigh of relief.
After that tiring and exciting ride, we proceed for a BBQ lunch at the lodge. We laughed and recalled back the adventure in the river. Then it was time to head back to Kota Kinabalu City.

While waiting for the transport to take us back, I noticed that my "sole" was lost. We then proceed for a pot luck dinner at shane's place. There was a wide spread of food on the table, ranging from pasta, rice dumpling, curry chicken and many more. I really enjoyed the spread and teh company as well. I was also entertained by the RAC Likas Bay caroling group. We also had a gift exchange. We continued with our fellowship and when the guest left, Shane, Lilain and I started to clean the house and wash the dished. It was indeed difficult being a DRR.

Day 3: The day we had a whale of a time and a blackout!

The day was planned for us to visit the beautiful islands of Sapi and Manukan. Looking at the series of unfortunate events I had, I realised that the day was not that simple. We headed for breakfast and bought our tickets for the "island hopping". First stop was Manukan, we were surprised by the crystal clear water that welcome us at the jetty. Shane, Yvonne and Lilian enjoyed the beach while I opted for the more adventure choice of Para-sailing. It was indeed a thrilling ride. Fortunately the rope did not break. Ha ha haWe then headed for Sapi Island where we enjoyed snorkeling. We then proceed back to the main city but before that we make a detour to view a baby whale that is stuck in the shallow waters. It was a magnificent sight as it was the first time we saw a whale up front. Unfortunately, the whale was unable to be save and its story was published in the papers a few days after. We then proceed to the Philippines market in town to buy sourveniers and momentos from Sabah. We then proceed back to Shane-ringlla and got ready for our zonal meeting in Sabah.

Before the meeting, we had our dinner at the Sabah Golf and Country resort. The meeting went on smoothly until we experience a Blackout. It was a new experience for me having a meeting in darkness. It was an eventful meeting.We then headed for supper with members from RAC Likas Bay and RAC Luyang. At about 1 am, we headed back home and pack our things for our trip back.Day 3: Heading home...

We left for the airport early morning but before that we went to have breakfast at a famous restaurant ( sorry cannot remember the name). I tasted the best Tom Yam soup ever. We said our good-byes . Although the trip was short, I truly enjoyed myself and I promise to be back for more....

Till we meet again guys..

No comments: